History"Flügelrad III" data:
A considerable interest in using a disc as a wing led to the idea of building
the autogiro with the blades mounted so close to each other that they almost
formed a disc.
The BMW engineering team led by Dr. Miethe located near Prague studied
several projects of such aircraft during WW II. All of them utilized the same
construction layout: a disc of blades strengthened by the external ring was driven
by the BMW jet engine(s). The main idea of this propulsion principle was the
deflection of the exhaust gases upwards on the take-off to initiate the disc spin.
After achieving 1650 to 1800 r.p.m. the pilot redirected the exhaust flow back-
words and simultaneuosly changed the blades' pitch from from -3 to +3 degrees
and the machine jumped upwards. When reaching cruising height the blades were
positioned in negative angle and the aircraft flew like a autorotating kite with a
small angle of attack.
The BMW "Flügelrad III" would have been the final production version of the
series of experimental machines. Its propulsion system consisted of two second-
generation turbojets, HeS.011 or BMW.018 with respective thrusts of 1,300 and
3,400 kg. The engines were located one above the other, seperated by the rotor
plate. The nozzles diverted into two "Strahlrohr" pipes fitted with valves which
allowed any kind of flight manoeuvering.
The machine had two cockpits, each one for four crew members. The landing
gear had four legs and was fully retractable into the lower fuselage portion.
There is no technical data about armament, although the machine was capable
enough of carrying biggest bombs or missiles in existance or being designed at the
time, as well as impressive battery of reconnaissance cameras.
T/O weight.................40,000 kg | Rotor diameter..............24m | Height.........................11.2m | Top speed.............around 1,000km/h
* The information above is based upon the Dossier No.10
by Justo Miranda, C/Tutor 53 Bj-C, 28008, Madrid, Spain.