| Available kits | Unicraft home page | Future releases |
To order or inquire e-m@il us anytime!
please note: the prices subject to change, please refer to AVAILABLE KITS page for current prices. Thanks.
UNICRAFT MODELS
Arado Ar.240 V.1
The first flown version of the highly advanced German warplane.

1/72 scale, $45

MASTER photos, clear canopy included

Early in 1938 the Reichsluftfahrtministerium (RLM, State Air Ministry) proposed to Dipl.-Ing. Walter Blume, technical director of the Arado Flugzeugbau, that his company undertake a design study for a fast, heavily-armed, two-seat aircraft in the Zerstorer (destroyer) category, suitable for the roles of heavy fighter, dive-bomber and reconnaissance. With RLM acceptance of the project, the aircraft received the designation Ar 240, and construction commenced with Dipl.-Ing. van Nes as chief project engineer, Oberingenieur Hans Rebeski as construction supervisor, and Dipl.-Ing. Kosin as aero-dynamicist. The design embodied a number of advanced features, not least of which were its remotely-controlled defensive barbettes.

The first prototype, the Ar 240 V1, was completed as a fighter/dive-bomber powered by two 1,175 hp DB 601A engines, and flew on June 25, 1940. Automatic slots were fitted to the wing leading edges, and a four-ribbed "umbrella" type dive brake was attached to the extreme rear fuselage. It was joined by the Ar 240 V2 in August 1940, this differing from its predecessor solely in having a forward-firing armament of two 0.311 in (7.9 mm) MG 17 guns in the wing roots and two 0.787 in (20 mm) MG 151 cannon in the fuselage, neither machine having the remotely-controlled barbettes which were under test on a Bf 110C.

The Ar 240 proved to possess appallingly bad handling characteristics and to be completely unstable, and extensive redesign of the fuselage was obviously necessary. This redesign was incorporated in the Ar 240 V3, in which the cockpit was pressurized and moved forward to the extreme nose, the overall length being increased from 38 ft 8.5 in to 40 ft 7.33 in (11.80 m to 12.38 m), and the tail brake replaced by a fixed cone carrying auxiliary fins.

This aircraft was the first to be fitted with the remotely-controlled dorsal and ventral barbettes, each of which mounted twin 0.311 in (7.9 mm) MG 81 machine guns, forward firing armament being similar to that of the V2. Flight testing revealed the fact that the aircraft was still unstable, and new ailerons were designed and fitted, after which the aircraft was evaluated in service in the reconnaissance role during 1941-42 by a Luftwaffe unit based on the Channel coast.


To order or inquire e-mail us anytime!
please note: the prices subject to change, please refer to AVAILABLE KITS page for current prices. Thanks.

| Available kits | Home page | Future releases |